Going with the theme of comfort food, let’s continue with nourishing foods which are hearty but healthy.
To make the cooler weather more bearable, dishes like chili help get us through.
1 Tbsp avocado oil
2 lbs ground turkey
3 cloves garlic
2 medium onions
2 bell peppers
2 celery stalks
1 medium sweet potato or beet
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1-1.5 c water
pepper & salt to taste
- Peel the beet OR sweet potato.
- Dice beet or sweet potato into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven @ 400oF. Bake beet or sweet potato for 40-45 minutes.
- Heat oil in dutch oven. Sautee onions, carrots and celery.
- Add turkey to the dutch oven. Sautee the meat until it’s browned.
- Add the paprika, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper.
- Add the sweet peppers to the mixture.
- Add the diced tomatoes, water & tomato sauce. (Add less water if you like your chili to be chunkier).
- Stir well. Bring mixture to boil. Once the mixture is boiling, bring mixture to a simmer.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 3 hours for full flavour.
- Once the chili is ready to serve, add the roasted sweet potato or beeet chunks on top as a garnish. You can also avocado slices, cheese or plain Greek yogurt as additional toppings as well.