Father’s Day is quickly approaching. How many of you are planning to host a BBQ? Many individuals choose to buy pre made burgers just for convenience from supermarkets and/or butcher shops; however, I know just as many individuals who make their own burgers. Making your own burgers is so easy! Let me share with you how I make my burgers:
Ingredients (Makes 8 burgers- 6 regular burgers & 2 smaller burgers):
227 g mushrooms
454 g extra lean ground turkey or beef
garlic (2-3 cloves)
green onions (2-3 sprigs)
onion (1 medium onion)
oats (to act as a binder)
Grapeseed oil (1 Tbsp)
Sesame oil (to taste)
Worcestershire Sauce (to taste)
- Clean your mushrooms. Slice them up and put them in a food processor until they are ground up.
- In a pan, pour 1 Tbsp of grapeseed oil. Heat up pan before putting your onion, garlic and mushrooms in. Sweat the mushrooms out first.
- Put the muhrooms in a bowl; remove some of the liquid if you feel it is too much.
- Mix cooked mushrooms with extra lean ground turkey and/or beef.
- Bind the mushroom/meat mixture together with oats. I use ~1/2 c of oats for that amount of mixture.
- Mix in a dash of sesame oil and a dash of worcestershire sauce.
- Grill on BBQ
Confession: When my husband and I moved from our previous place, we left our barbecue with the new owners. Since moving to our place (1.5 years ago), we still have yet to get a new barbecue. How do I make these burgers? I bake them in the oven @ 400 degrees fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.
Enjoy your blenditarian burgers with the usual burger toppings.
I normally do put lettuce and tomatoes on my burgers; however, it was recently brought to my attention that not everyone likes having lettuce and in their hamburgers. I’m a fan of Marilyn Denis and follow her on Instagram. In a post honouring Anthony Bourdain, she said that one of the funniest things he said to her is “You never put lettuce on your hamburger”.
I decided to try this and decided to do more of a Californian burger combination including: onions, tomato variety from Mucci Farms, cucumber and avocado.
Do you make your own burgers? Let me know how you make them. 🙂