Who else experienced one of the coldest weekends this past weekend? We’ve definitely been spoiled with a mild winter this year in Toronto but my oh my were the temperatures ever frigid. Who else also experienced a snow day on Monday? As beautiful as the winter wonderland scenery was, it definitely was a workout trying to dig myself out of the driveway. These conditions definitely call for an all time favourite comfort food.
What food am I referring to? Banana bread of course! 🙂 I am sometimes convinced that my husband purposely hopes the banana becomes too ripe to be eaten as banana bread often results from overripe bananas.
What is my favourite banana bread recipe?
Here it is (16 servings= 1 loaf)
2 c all purpose flour
1.5 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon baking soda
0.25 teaspoon salt
0.25 teaspoon ground cinnamon
0.125 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
5 medium bananas (~1.5 c mashed bananas)
0.5 c organic cane sugar
0.5 c avocado oil
0.25 c chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Line a small loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, & nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, bananas, sugar and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Story until moistened. Fold on walnuts.
- Spoon battle into prepared pan.
- Bake for a minimum of 60 minutes. To check if the loaf is done, stick a toothpick to the centre of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is ready. If the toothpick does not come out clean, you may need additional baking time.
- When the loaf comes out of the oven, cool the loaf for at least 10 minutes.
- Enjoy! 🙂
What is Your Favourite Go To Banana Bread Recipe? Let me know! 🙂 I want to try it out!!!
Food For Thought: Some individuals may wonder why I have chosen to stick with all purpose flour. Some individuals may also wonder why I choose to have cane sugar in the recipe as well. A wise individual once told me that there is no replacement for all purpose flour and/or sugar. She was right! 😉 In line with the new recommendations from Canada’s New Food Guide, enjoy your treat however you like it. Make sure you remember to control the portion.