During a recent facial I had gotten, I was gently reminded that my cleansing game was not up to par. Why? When the aesthetician initially cleansed my skin, she could feel the layers of dead skin I had failed to remove. I need to remember to exfoliate my face more often. I do exfoliate my face at least one time per week but I need to be consistent about doing exfoliation at least 2 or 3 times per week. Some individuals need to exfoliate more. It all depends on your skin and your individualized situation.
Why does someone need to exfoliate his/her skin? Here’s 3 reasons why:
- To help keep clear skin (i.e. prevent blemishes and/or clogged pores)
- Prevent wrinkles (i.e. by exfoliating, your skin is tricked into thinking and/or acting young again)
- Provide instant glow (i.e. products you use can penetrate better into your skin)
My husband always complains there is no counterspace but when it comes to skincare products, you really have to have different options to different situations. Here are some of my favourites:
Peter Thomas Roth FirmX Peeling Gel:
This is a very gentle product where it does not leave your skin feeling dry at all. How I generally use it is:
- Clean your Face.
- Pat your face dry.
- Squeeze the FirmX Peeling Gel out (~toonie size). You may need more if you feel like you need to cover more surface area.
- Apply the FirmX Peeling Gel to your face. Massage your face in circular motions around your face. As you massage, you will see the gel clumping together. This is the dead skin being removed.
- If you feel satisfied with the amount of dead skin removed, rinse your face.
It is recommended to use this product up to 3 times/week but I would be comfortable in recommending that this product is gentle enough to be used everyday if you really have lots of dead skin to remove.
Glam Glow YOUTHMUD Tingling and Exfoliating Mud Mask
I find this exfoliation mask to be stronger than just an exfoliator. With this product, I still would clean my face. I would apply this on clean skin. As soon as you put this product on, wait a few moments. You will immediately feel your skin tightening and your skin will tingle. I leave it on for ~10-15 minutes. Your skin feels AMAZING afterwards.
If you have fine lines and/or wrinkles as well as uneven skin texture, this product can help correct these problems. You will definitely feel the tingling and tightening effects during the treatment.
Cle De Peau Clay Mask
A new find for me includes this product. Although it may not sound Japanese, it is a Japanese brand. I like this product as it is a cleanser in addition to being an exfoliator. I would definitely still remove my makeup with Bobbi Brown Cleansing Oil and/or Micellar Water first before using this product.
This product boasts of an illuminating complex EX which is made up of: golden silk essence (helps to alleviate loss of suppleness), Japanese Pearl (helps with the smoothness of skins), theanine (helps to even out skin) and Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract
(a traditional herb is known to support skin’s beauty).
After using this product, not only does your skin feel amazing but it smells really good as well. 🙂
Food For Thought: Do you need to exfoliate more often?